Nodal Ninjas are categorized in four different series (3, 6, R and M) and the automated and motorized version that covers also some of them.
Here is a quick guide which series fits to your camera or requirements.
Nodal Ninja NN3-Series
The NN3-Series has evolved over its 12 year culmination of production from the NN1 in 2005 to the NN3 MK3 in 2017.
The latest generation "MK3" is created using state of the art computer-controlled cutting (CNC) machines resulting is greater precision, uniformity and cross compatibility. Small sleek and sexy. The NN3 MK3 is lightweight and compact. Arca-Swiss compatible and like the MKII suitable for compact cameras, Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras, and even smaller DSLR's with lens up to 50mm. Very similar in design function to it's big brother the NN6.
NN3 MK3 utilizes Rotator Mini or Rotator D10 as the lower rotator, which are used in other Nodal Ninja panoramic heads. It also shares many parts and accessories with NN6, making the whole system much more versatile and cost effective when shifting or upgrading to other models. Like NN6, the MK3 is compatible with the automated rotators (Mecha), capable of transforming into a 2-axis fully automatic pan/ tilt head with diverse functions.
Level: Amateur - Semi Pro
Lenses: 8mm - 50mm
Features: Compact, Inexpensive, Durable
Popular Uses: Real Estate, Travel, Hobbyist, Amateur
Cameras: Compact, Micro Four Thirds, smaller DSLR's
Nodal Ninja NN6-Series
Nodal Ninja 6 (NN6) is the successor to Nodal Ninja 4 and Nodal Ninja 5, and is the first model that is compatible with the coming motorized rotator, capable of transforming into a 2-axis fully automatic pan/ tilt head with diverse functions.
It is also the first low cost ALL CNC machined panoramic head in the product line. We carefully examined the Ultimate line and listened to end user feedback to optimize these newer designs. By reducing the number of quick release components, overall cost is much reduced. The NN6's will have quality standards very similar to the Ultimate line incorporating hard anodized coating.
- Compact upper rotator with precise 7.5 degrees detent lock (positive stops) which can be disabled on the fly by simple turning of a lever to allow free rotation and locking at arbitrary angle. A legendary design in NN5, now with double the number of locking positions doubling the maximum focal length.
- Supporting up to 200mm equivalent focal length (camera in portrait orientation) with detent lock (higher focal lengths possible with free rotation).
- New anti-twisting camera mounting plate that mounts to the camera by using an easy to grip, glove friendly knob. No tools needed.
- Arca Swiss compatible rails allow use of QR clamps and other compatible accessories.
- Supports most DSLRs with or without battery grip.
- Come standard with custom made Advanced Rotator D10 (RD10) as default. Compact, lightweight with 10 detent options ranging from 90 to 5 degrees which are easily changed on the fly.
- Compatible with other advanced rotators.
- Optional Quick Release Nadir Adapter that combines the function of quick release and nadir adapter, for rapid mounting / dismounting the vertical assembly and effortlessly taking clean nadir shot (down shot).
Level: Amateur - Pro
Lenses: 8mm - 200mm+
Features: Comfortable size, strong
Popular Uses: General, Landscape, Gigapixels, High Resolution, Commercial, HDR
Nodal Ninja M-Series
The M-Series is built from precision CNC machined from premium T6061 aluminum and anodized, it has high precision, accuracy, durability and long lifetime all in one.
The first model of this modular system is the M1 which has 7.5 degree precise positive stops at the upper rotator, supporting lenses from ultra wide angles to 200mm telephotos. It allows templates to be used to speed up stitching and reduce stitching errors.
The M2 is a design with many years of refinement, integrating years of feature wishes from customers. It fills the gap of Nodal Ninja product line for photographers making high-resolution panos or mosaics with super telephoto lenses. Furthermore, this tripod head can act as a gimbal arm for smooth rotation of heavy telephoto lenses at its center of gravity.
- Modular design means easy upgrade from previous model and to future models.
- Support long telephoto lens up to 3kg (6.6 lb) in weight.
- Full bearing loaded rotators for smooth and steady rotation.
- Upper rotator with adjustable friction to serve as a gimbal arm.
- Upper rotator with laser marked index ring with fine 2.5° intervals.
- Upper rotator upgradeable (optional) with precise positive stops up to 1.5° finest intervals.
- Upper and lower rotators with indicators for starting and ending positions, ideal for making mosaics with a large number of images. Photographers can first compose the mosaic, then set the starting and ending positions horizontally and vertically. The indicators will make sure no images are missed and no excessive images are taken.
- With RD8II (precise click stops at 30°, 15°, 6°, 5°, 4°, 3°, 2.5°, 2°) to support up to 700mm equivalent focal length with camera in landscape orientation, or 465mm equivalent in portrait orientation.
- Precision CNC machined from aircraft T6061 aluminum and anodized, meaning high precision, accuracy, durability and long lifetime.
Level: Semi Pro - Pro
Lenses: 8mm - 400mm+
Features: Arca Style Modular Design, Strongest, Repeatable Results, Upgrade paths
Popular Uses: Landscape, Super High Resolution, Gigapixels, Commercial, HDR
Cameras: DSLR's, Medium - Big Format
Nodal Ninja R-Series
For single row pano head for circular and fullframe fisheye lenses. Ideal also for pole photography. Lightweight and compact construction.
Level: Amateur - Pro
Lenses: Fisheye 4,5 mm - 17 mm
Features: Smallest Pano Head, fits in pocket, repeatable results, fits to lens not camera
Popular Uses: 360x180 Spherical Panoramas, Real Estate
Cameras: Any - fit based on lens